Time

One of the things we set out to do on this journey was re-boot our notions of Time.

I've spent the last few years gobbling up time at a stunning rate and yet I still end up feeling like I never get enough done. I always joke that I need three more hours in a day-somewhere between lunch and dinner-and then I MIGHT be able to get everything done I need to do on that day.  I started to wonder about this. All this busy-ness...Business...I get up to. It's what everyone does though, right?  It's what we're supposed to do. Work, worry about work, talk about work, earn money, not earn enough money, contemplate ways to earn more money, establish a major to-do list, worry about not getting enough done on that list, hustle the kids through school, routines, sports, homework and squish all of this in between parenting and navigating your marriage, while trying to find time to relax and stay healthy and then maybe, as an after-thought, throw in some spiritual improvement if you can find the TIME.
So, this is all fine, really. It's totally one way of living but I can't help noticing how frantic everyone seems all the Time. Most of all me. I'm practically panting most days. I'm usually happy when I feel like I've accomplished something.  I am not calm very often or content to just be. Even when I meditate, I have, like, an internal timer, that tells me, "Okay, that's enough! Time to get on with your day!".
What if I stop this? Just for these few months. Of course, I still have a million things to do in a day. Cruising is an active and sometimes intense way to go through life and one has to be aware of all kinds of factors to ensure one's safety and survival- much magnified when you are new to it and have young children! But what if I use this way of living, which provides me with LONG stretches of free Time to re-boot my notion of what to do with it.  At sea, at anchor, waiting for the wind to shift... what if I reverse the order of the things I usually fill my Time with? Whenever i'm not actively engaged in survival,  I'll spend Time pondering my spiritual center, Time relaxing and being healthy, Time relishing being in love and Time playing with and teaching my children. If I have some EXTRA Time, maybe I'll get something done on my to-do-list and If I'm actually at a loss for something to do... I'll ponder how I might make some money.
(I plan to need much, much, less of it, anyway)
I wonder where this will lead me in a few months...
Will I become a salt-encrusted, shaggy hippie with no sense of purpose?
Or will Time fade a little in importance, will I worry less and simply watch more sunsets with my children?
I guess we'll just have to see.

Uno on watch
Nothin' to do but smile, smile. smile

Now, If I can just stop thinking of how much I need to clean that area behind the stove!

4 comments:

  1. Looks so awesome! How long until you leave San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled you are even considering giving up the dizzying pace you set for yourself. I thought it would take much longer than a week for you to contemplate this -- you always were a quick study!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a beautiful post!! You're obviously riding the swell, already. Awesome... you salt-encrusted hippy. :-)
    The times of my life I've been most happy are when I've set aside my worries and cherished time with the people I love. I sometimes fool myself into thinking that a huge amount of preparation will ensure that lovely time, but the best times have all been spontaneous. You've been a big part of that, because, since you moved away, the random, often unexpected times you're here seem so precious that it's easy to let everything else drift away for a while and take time to just be with you, even amid the rushing-around. Thank you for that.
    And amazingly, when I get my head out of the clouds and peruse my list of undones, it doesn't seem to matter very much. The glow in my life made by appreciating the moments I loved is so much warmer than the friction-caused heat of rushing around!!

    So so SO glad you're finally blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. We'll be daily readers! Da&Ba

    ReplyDelete